Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 9: Getting creative

Breakfast: Omelette with turkey bacon, tomatoes and onions

I was feeling great about breakfast this morning, because I was making the exact same omelette as yesterday and was actually going to post a picture of it this time.....then I forgot in my rush to bring Andy his at work. Figures.





Lunch: Tomato Basil Chicken salad with berries


Something I probably never would have made, except I bought some fantastic Tomato Basil almond spread at the farmer's market last night. So, it was time for an experiment.

Chicken Salad
cooked, diced chicken
tomato basil almond spread
spring mix
apple cider vinegar dressing


All I did was mix the chicken with the spread, toss the spring mix with the dressing, and then lay the chicken over the top of the spring mix. Voila. And it was a pretty successful experiment.



Dinner: Steak stir fry and EXTRA virgin strawberry margarita
Another successful experiment from the farmer's market. Heck, I don't even like bell peppers and these ones I got last night were delicious.

Stir fry:
One package of Trader Joe's lean stew meat
one red bell pepper
one green bell pepper
one yellow bell pepper
1/2 red onion
crushed garlic
olive oil
Trader Joe's limeade
salt and pepper

Start by heating up a large pan over MedHi heat, add olive oil and probably about 1 Tbs of the garlic. Add the steak and cook until just before done. While the meat is cooking, chop up the peppers and the onion. Just before the steak is done, pour about 1/4 cup of limeade over the top of it and stir. Add the peppers and onions and turn the heat up to High. Season with salt and pepper.


I've been dying for some sort of slushie or ice-blended drink, so I gave this a try:

EXTRA virgin strawberry margarita:

Put ice, frozen strawberries and Trader Joe's limeade in a blender. Enjoy.  :)


One thing I've realized is that this diet forces me to break out of my routine and be more creative with my meals. Since we're limited in what we can have, and I don't want to eat the same 3 or 4 things over and over again, desperation leads me to try things I normally wouldn't. And most of the time, it's worked out. Although I can't say that's true about the vegan pudding I bought for us. It looked like great pudding, but it's made with avocados. And try as we might, we just couldn't handle the thought of eating chocolate guacamole. There was a slight aftertaste that made it clear that's what we were eating. But Uriah loves it. Joke's on him I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment