Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 32: Dear Jordan Rubin....

Dear Jordan Rubin,

When you titled the recipe in the back of your book "Easy Waffles," had you yet tried them? Let me explain to you why they were not, in fact, easy. We can start with the whole soaking the flour for at least 7 hours thing. I don't really understand it. Perhaps it's explained somewhere in your book, but I don't remember it. I'm sure it has to do with something fermenting, but anything I have to start making more than 7 hours in advance annoys me. And can't we just say overnight? Let's be real here, waffles are a morning food. I ate them at 8AM this morning. And I did not get up at 1AM just to soak the whole wheat flour in water AND yogurt. But I'll let that one be, and tell you why else these waffles were NOT easy. Have you ever tried to measure out exactly two tablespoons of honey? Without getting any on you, the counter and anything else within a three-foot radius of it? And, oh yes, your recipe lists coconut oil in the ingredients. You never say when to add it. You do say when to add butter; but that, of course, is not in the list of ingredients. Which left me wondering which I was actually supposed to use. Neither? Both?

And, Jordan Rubin, none of this actually matters. Because, although they tasted pretty good, these waffles had the texture and rigidity of a tortilla. No matter how many different temps and cook times I tried. I managed to eat one (thank God for syrup), but both my one-year-old son and the three-year-old I care for refused to take even one whole bite. And if two kids that are less picky than goats are asking if they can have oatmeal instead, then I can assure you the waffles where less than stellar. Much less.

They were not easy. And they were only barely waffles. I feel I've been duped here.

Sincerely,

The Mom Who Made A Big Deal About A Waffle Party And Had To Feed The Kids Eggos Instead.




Whew....glad I got that one off my chest.



Lunch: Turkey Sandwich

Photo cred goes to my husband. I don't need to write him a letter--he knows this photo is bad.


Turkey, pesto, lettuce, tomato, pickles and raw cheddar cheese on Ezekiel bread.


Dinner: Steak tacos with chips and guacamole

I used the left-over tri-tip from dinner last night, chopped it up and heated it in a pan. Added tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and lime. The guacamole was simply avocados, lime juice, salt and pepper.


Only 8 days left.

And in case you were wondering, our pumpkins are now ready for Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment