Saturday, September 29, 2012

Thank God for coffee: Day 5



We can totally have coffee. And this one is amazing. I got it at Mother's Market yesterday, and it is fantastic. When you can't put any sugar or milk in your coffee, the quality definitely does matter!


Breakfast: Chicken sausage omelette with tomatoes, onions and cilantro

I saved all the left-over ingredients from yesterday's omelette and made it again today. I think today's version was better than yesterday's. No idea why.

Lunch: steak tacos

Yep. A steak taco in a vegan tortilla. The irony is not lost on me. Somewhere somebody is angry about this. Sorry.


I bought these vegan wraps at Mother's Market yesterday. They were actually surprisingly good. Even better than I had hoped. There was a faint taste of coconut; but for the most part, they didn't taste like anything, and certainly didn't taste bad. I was afraid they might be flimsy--but they were pretty thick and actually held together better than a regular tortilla does. And their square shape, although kinda weird, actually made it easier to eat. A definite two thumbs up. Once we start Phase II, we can have corn (and corn tortillas!), so after the first two weeks are done we won't need them, but they are definitely worth the money to have once or twice during phase one. Here's what I put inside:

Left-over flank steak from dinner last night, tomato, red onion, cilantro and avocado. I mashed the avocado with some lime juice, salt and pepper.  Andy says this is the best thing we've had so far.

Dinner: Tamales!

OK, so I know I just told you we couldn't have corn and all, but we may have kinda sorta fudged on that one tonight. One of Andy's co-workers had a birthday party tonight with some amazing homemade tamales. We figured homemade tamales should never be passed up on; and really, once I researched it, they aren't too far off the mark for the Maker's Diet. The dough is actually not too bad (I felt like this was pretty OK since we can have corn in another week and a half anyway). And the filling all just depends on what you have in it. We had some chicken tamales that were out of this world. I'm very glad we decided to go for it on this one. We also agreed that this does NOT count as our cheat meal for the week, since I've completely got my heart set on what we are planning for dinner tomorrow night. 

I told you Mexican was pretty easy to do in this diet. Today was kind of like exhibit A.



We've starting feeling much better. Not only are we not craving carbs and feeling starving; we both feel really good. I've definitely noticed a difference in my skin, and I've been sleeping much more peacefully and waking up feeling much more rested. Andy is starting to look pretty lean (I hate how men can do that so much more quickly). We both definitely have more energy. And all in just 5 days. I'd say it couldn't be true, but we've had this same experience twice now. Turns out this whole diet thing works.

A long time ago a read an article about how when someone finally starts seeing results from a diet or exercise plan, it begins to get easier to stick with because they are beginning to receive the gratification for it.  I can definitely vouch for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment