Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day Two: How many days left?

I realized last night that whatever the first picture of a post is gets used in the heading if you're reading this on a phone....and that if I always post my breakfast first, then you'll always get a picture of my breakfast. Which would be....BORING. Let's be honest, we're pretty much looking at eggs and smoothies every day for the next 38 days. I might spice it up with some turkey bacon soon. In another 12 days I can add a little cheese and make an omelette. But pretty much, eggs and smoothies. So here's this instead:



Now that we've gotten that over with, on to today's meals.

Breakfast: Egg Scramble, berries and a smoothie (told ya!)

Egg Scramble:

1 Tomato, diced
1/4 of a white onion, diced
5 eggs
butter
salt and pepper


Melt a little butter in a pan (just enough to cover the bottom), add onions and grill until transparent (that's how you know they're cooked!), add tomatoes and stir, add beaten eggs and salt and pepper. Makes enough for two people.

Smoothie:

Pull smoothie out of freezer. Remove foil. Place in microwave for approximately 45 seconds. Ha.
(Yep, I made these yesterday when I made the first ones, they sat in the freezer overnight.)



Lunch: Steak Salad

1 bag of romaine lettuce
1/2 of a cucumber
1/4 of a red onion
thinly-sliced steak (I grilled an extra steak last night and saved it for today)
Trader Joe's Red Wine and Olive Oil dressing


The dressing is a bit of a cheat. But if you look at the ingredients on the back, there are actually only two things on the list that are questionable:

The vegetable oil is pretty much a no-no. Mostly because of the soy, I think.  The Xanthian Gum I'm not totally sure about. You can click on the link I just gave it to read more about it if you're interested. Sounds like it probably is on the no list, but it also sounds like there is probably only a teeny tiny bit in here. And there's a small chance it's actually fine. Clearly, I am not a nutritionist. Either way, I used the dressing. It's delicious. I do have a great recipe for a salad dressing that 100% fits in this diet that I'll be using in a few days.


Dinner: Baked chicken, broccoli and avocado

Chicken:
Frozen Chicken Tenderloins
Lemon Pepper
Salt

Place the frozen pieces of chicken on a piece of foil, sprinkle liberally with lemon pepper and salt (or whatever other seasoning you'd like to use), wrap up in the foil and put in the oven at 350 for approximately 45-60 minutes. This is my favorite way to make chicken. It's super juicy and tender, and it's pretty much impossible to over-cook. If you need to let it sit in the oven for a bit, it holds extremely well.

Broccoli:

Buy a bag of broccoli from Trader Joe's. The purple one. You can put that in the microwave. I put a little butter and salt over the top of it once it was done cooking.

Avocado:
Slice the avocado, then cover with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper.


I was supposed to do carrots tonight, but I got lazy and did the broccoli instead. Mostly because we were on our way to a baseball game, so the less clean-up the better. This dinner has literally no clean up. Throw away the foil you used for the chicken, throw away the broccoli bag, throw away the avocado skin. That's my kinda dinner.


After last night's post, I was feeling pretty good about how things were going. 30 minutes later, we sat down to watch some TV, and every commercial was for food. Andy and I sat there, lamenting about how badly we wanted pizza, ice cream, cinnamon rolls and burritos. Didn't set us up any better tonight either. The carrots and almonds I packed for us to take to the baseball game weren't a very good consolation for the smells of hot dogs and nachos.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised though. Last time around, the second day was the WORST. That was the day Andy got shaky and I got a migraine. This time, just a small little headache. We did both feel starving all day (hard to believe when you look at the amount of food we're still eating), and are definitely craving carbs (more specifically I'd like a carb shaped like a Cinnabon).  I think last time, we were at a point in our lives that we were both eating a lot more carbs and junk food, so it was a more drastic shock. Also, we were both working. Not only am I at home with Uriah now, but Andy is home from work this week with bursitis in his knee. Makes it much easier. Convenient, I guess. But then again, who knows? Maybe it will be worse tomorrow.

For now, I guess we can just enjoy the fact that we didn't feel to terrible to enjoy the Angels game.


No comments:

Post a Comment